The Roger Khawam Library of Egyptology

Founded in 1860 in Cairo by Sélim Khawam, the famous "Khawam Brothers" house of antiques has been led by four successive generations of jewellers, coin collectors and antiques dealers.


At the end of the 1940s, Roger Khawam, the son of Joseph Khawam, already under the tutelage of Émile Chassinat studied Egyptology at the Sorbonne. In particular, he was taught by professors Posener and Clere.

Maninine taught him about the Copts and Egyptian Demotic, and Khawam reinforced his knowledge at the Institut Catholique de Paris under Father du Bourguet. He graduated successfully.


As an auditor at the Collège de France, he follows the conferences of Pierre Montet and later the canon Drioton

Sauneron, Jeanine Nonnet and Paule Krieger made an impression during his years as a student.

Most significantly, he kept a close relationship throughout his career with his classmate, Jean Yoyote, as scientists and friends, starting in Egypt and continuing in France. He still has fond memories of their friendship.


In 1952, Roger Khawam joined the family business and took over as manager.

During the following years, he becomes life membership of the Egypt Exploration Society and the Société Française d’Égyptologie.


Ever since he took over, he has continued, methodically, to add to his father's scientific library.

In 1977, he moved the Joseph Khawam house of antiques from Cairo to Paris and opened the Galerie Khepri in the Jardin du Palais Royal, Paris. Here, his two sons joined him.


His impressive library will be on offer to passionate lovers on 29 November 2012.

This will be one of the last opportunities to acquire rare editions among more than 2500 volumes, some of which cannot be found elsewhere.

29 November 2012 - Paris - Drouot Richelieu - Sale room 7



2 pm  -  Lots 1 to 265

Catalogue HD

34 Mo

Printable Results